Thursday, February 23, 2012

Messy vs. Memories

Mamas, I had a wonderful talk with my oldest daughter today about science of all things.  She described the joy and excitement she found as she got to experiment with electricity and magnets in her fourth grade classroom.  She shared how fun it was to be allowed to make a mess with calcite and minerals as they studied rocks. 

Then she said the following:  "Sometimes it seems like adults pick things for kids to do based on how easy it is to clean up."

Hhmmm....I think she's on to something.

The electricity unit required batteries, wires, wrapping things around other things, placing a metal strip here or there and lots and lots of patience from the teacher.  Rocks required messy minerals and calcite in powder form (is there any worse thing to work with when kids are involved...powder, really???), water, things to measure and stir with, and lots and lots of patience from the teacher.

But, she was elated. She was ecstatic.  She was excited to learn more about science.  She's excited to see what is coming next!  She is making messy memories!

Mamas, these kiddos want to make a mess every now and and it's up to us to ENcourage it and not DIScourage it.  I'm not talking about the aggravating messes (spilled milk, for example.  And, YES, I really have cried over spilled milk!).  I'm talking about crafts, paint and the dreaded playdoh!  Yes, I also hate using a toothpick to get all that drying playdoh out of all of those little holes!

When we apply patience to the situation, we can make memories with our kids when we are willing to let them make a mess.  They learn responsibility by helping to clean it up!

Done with the right attitude, "making a mess" can turn a very difficult behavior day into a memory filled day as we both distract and engage our kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment